The only man convicted of the Lockerbie bombing has again protested his innocence as Scotland’s law chief pledged to "find the answers" victims’ families have been waiting for.
Abdelbaset al Megrahi was convicted in 2001 of carrying out the bombing, which killed 270 people when Pan Am Flight 103 exploded over the Scottish town of Lockerbie on December 21, 1988.
He was sentenced to life imprisonment, but was released on compassionate grounds in 2009 after being diagnosed with terminal cancer.
But in what he said was his final interview, published in several UK newspapers on Thursday, he reiterated his claim that he was not involved in the bombings.
The interview was reportedly filmed by investigator and former policeman George Thomson on Saturday.
Megrahi said it would be the last interview he gave before his death.
In it, the Libyan said: "I am an innocent man.
"I am about to die and I ask now to be left in peace with my family."
He said he had "never seen" a Maltese shopkeeper whose identification was central to the conviction.
Tony Gauci had identified Megrahi as buying clothes, the fragments of which were found among the wreckage of the flight.
He said: "I never bought clothes from him. He dealt with me very wrongly. I have never seen him in my life before he came to court."
The interview was published shortly after a memorial service marking the 23rd anniversary of the atrocity was held in the United States.
Scotland’s Lord Advocate Frank Mulholland travelled to the US for the memorial and laid a wreath on behalf of the people of Scotland.
Earlier this week, he met FBI director Robert Mueller and US attorney-general Eric Holder to discuss the opportunities for stepping up the investigation in Libya into the bombing.
He said: "I think I would be failing in my duty if I didn’t properly seek to take advantage of the opportunity that has opened up with the fall of (Libyan strongman Muammar) Gaddafi.
"I am determined to get the answers these families deserve."
Scottish police are expected to go to Libya next year as part of the ongoing investigation into the 1988 attack.
Mulholland said the idea that Megrahi had acted alone was "risible".
Amin Khalifa Fhimah also stood trial with Megrahi but was acquitted of any involvement.
"Megrahi was a member of the Libyan security service – it is risible to think that he acted alone. What we want to do is bring the others to book."
Statistics: Posted by yoda — Thu Dec 22, 2011 1:00 am
View full post on opinions.caduceusx.com